There are different types of fire extinguishers. The most common of which are ABC type extinguishers. These extinguishers are rated to extinguish most types of fires. The rating system for extinguishers comes in the form of the letters from A through K.
- A type extinguishers can extinguish Class A fires which involve ordinary combustibles such as textiles, paper, plastics, rubber, and wood.
- B type extinguishers can extinguish Class B fires which involve flammable and combustible liquids, gases, alcohol, cooking oils, gasoline, lubricating oils, and liquefied petroleum gas.
- C type extinguishers can extinguish Class C fires which involve fires created by electrified energy.
- D type extinguishers can extinguish Class D fires which involve fires involving combustible metals and alloys such as lithium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium.
- K type extinguishers can extinguish Class K fires which involve combustible cooking oils.
The ABC extinguisher is most common because it can handle all three types of fires which are common in homes.
The Rootstown Fire Department suggests that you have at least one fire extinguisher in your home and vehicle.